ISO-L8R Gimbal Z Axis Arm

Once Upon a Time, A Long Long Time Ago the First SteadicamJR hit the UK Shores, despite it's shortcomings it gave me a unique edge at the time, but the Dream of having a Pro Stabilizer with Vest & Arm never faded....until recently.

Rather than pay the large sums of money for a Steadicam Flyer or something even better, I decided to design one in CAD, which turned into a few variations as detailed over on http://iso-l8r.blogspot.com/  but no sooner was the design done the Chinese where already making them at much more affordable prices, and then the market shifted to electronic gimbals...so I designed a few of them...but obviously the first thing I actually made was the 3D Printer....I also decided to buy the Crane2 Gimbal, and while it's not the Best it was the Best Price at the Time, while I love the Design of the Tilta there's no way I could justify paying the extra.

The main issue with Electronic Gimbals is the lack of Z axis stabilization, something my very early designs took account of (which was before others started making them for Gimbals). Today I could buy a cheap injection molded iso-arm, or attempt to make it https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2689804

Now i'm pretty sure that as soon as I start to make a better metal arm, someone will bring out the right tool for the job, but they better be quick as this one's half complete. There is a small metal one for the Ronin but not as far as I know for the Crane 2.

Now i'm not sure II can pull it off with the parts at hand and there are a few different arrangements that could be followed. It might need a major revision but for now it's progressing ok, the spring is just one I had and will need replacing, I doubt I will find a single spring that will do the job and will probably need to look at a way to implement 2 springs.

Still trying to decide how to create the spring adjuster part, there are a number of places to anchor the spring but , ideally keeping things metal, but as bolting on plastic parts comes with it's own issues/constraints, i'll have to decide which direction to go, but one custom end part x2 would streamline the design & reduce part count. I plan to use another plate to match both ends unless I can influence the making of some new components...I'll use one or two gimbal clamps to attach to one plate and probably a handle for the other plate.

Stay tuned for further updates...lets see if I can complete it before it becomes available on ebay for half the price, total cost so far about £30 so a quality item could be produced for not much more.



Plastic Widgets, when a piece of plastic makes all the difference, when the only thing standing between having a functional prototype is a small custom plastic widget...
and when your done printing, the fun continues with assembly. A number of machine axis are coming together, but who knows what the final config will look like. Yesterday I counted 5, today another 5. (and a few more in  the next days)


A 4 ARC -A-I

MechaBits Minimal, Modular, Metal, Mobile, Morphing, Mutating Mini Monster - Manufacturing Machine.


Quick Quality Cheap Simple - Pick 4 or More!

Waiting for a few alternate 12mm block bearings for another printer, I couldnt help noticing the basis of another 3D Printer staring at me from the Box of MechaBits, Just one Printed Part on the X axis, with another for the Carriage to be done. So now the 12mm Rods I was going to use for another Printer, are now in use here, so need to order more to continue with other idea...but this idea actually finishes off the other idea :) I can use the Z Rods and table clamps for either project...and now I've found a neat solution to drive Z, I can use that idea on the other project also.